Bins, bins and more bins! You may ask yourself, will a bin really make that much of a difference in keeping things organized? I asked myself the same when we were tidying our home – and yes, it makes a HUGE difference! They keep everything contained and in its place.
This is our pantry. It’s neat and it actually stays that way thanks to these bins and our commitment to Sustaining – #5 below. You can pull the bins out to see what’s inside, instead of moving each Campbell’s soup can to see your inventory. This also helps when you are prepping your meals for the week 😉
Steps to Pantry Organizing:
1. Sort – take EVERY item you have in your pantry out. Get rid of anything that’s expired, you haven’t touched in three months or never going to use.
2. Straighten – put things in similar categories, for instance, we have Spices, Canned Goods, Breakfast, etc. You’ll see what your categories are going to be as soon as you start putting items together.
2b. Bin – once you straighten, this is a good time to find your bins. Measure the space you have available and the space you need based on your food inventory. This will allow you to find the best bin that suits your needs.
3. Shine – Clean everything so it goes back in the best condition.
4. Standardize – make sure you always put your groceries in the correct bin. You can even label the shelf or bin like we did. Labeling = less thinking about where things should go!
5. Sustain – continue to check to make sure things are in the right place. Make sure the entire family 👨👩👧👦is following the bin system or it will get messy quickly!
PS. Not everything will fit perfectly in your bins. Don’t stress about it! As you can see, we eat a quite a bit of Oatmeal, so it sits to the side of the bin. But at the same time, don’t let it be the norm! 😊