The library is one of my all time favorite places to go and browse books, DVD’s and albums. I can be there for hours at a time. Don’t tell anyone but I actually like to tour the county and visit every library I can – they are all so unique! Then there’s the rest of the world that would just rather have everything at their fingertips and trust me, I get it.
This is one of the tips that I love most since it’s easy, avoids clutter (no books in your home) and of course, it’s FREE! You can get free e-books through your local library without having to move from your favorite spot on the couch.
The absolute first step is obtaining a library card and you can do this by visiting your local library and signing up. It’s as easy as giving your name, address and phone number to the librarian and he/she will issue you a card for free.
After that, the rest is easy peasy!
I live in Palm Beach County so I use the Palm Beach County Library page. I click on PLACE A HOLD under my favorite title and sign in. If you live in another county, you can Google search your county library and browse for the e-book section. There should be similar steps to the ones I’ve listed below.
Here are what the steps look like when signing on:
1.Sign in with your library card OR sign in with OverDrive
I opted to sign in with Overdrive. There is an OverDrive app that you can download that is user friendly and you can download books right to your phone, iPad or tablet!
2. Click on Sign up, it’s free!
3. Sign up for an OverDrive account.
Fill in the required info -> your name, email address and a designated password.
4. Enter verification code.
OverDrive will send you an email with a verification code to the email address you provided on the previous page. They will ask you to enter that verification code.
5. Click on ADD A CARD and add your library card #.
6. All finished!
And now you are all set to get FREE e-books whenever you want, in the comfort of your home!
Some additional tips:
- You can send these e-books to multiple devices at the same time. If you want the books on your phone for travelling and your tablet for when you’re home, you have the option to do so.
- After the allotted time is up, usually it’s 2 weeks, your e-book will automatically delete from your device. But remember, you always have the option to re-new if that wasn’t enough time to enjoy your book!